These little Patchwork of the Crosses blocks are very difficult for me to resist – each one made up of 24 little pieces that go together in no time. I think this is my favourite of the ones I’ve done … Continue reading
After working on those huge (well, okay – to me they’re huge at 18″) Morse Stars, I really needed to work on some tiny blocks. I’ve wanted to do something with the .75″ 90-degree hexagons for ages – basically ever since that Inklingo collection came out. And I had this group of fabrics that I immediately knew I wanted to use.
Some quick printing and cutting, including some fussy cutting/printing of the main fabric, and I had these wonderful little stacks of shapes just waiting to be stitched. And they were calling to me. Loudly!
So I just had to make one block.
And then another. They’re really, really hard to resist. Making one without making a second one is impossible for me. I love getting the special effects from the fussy cutting/printing.
The little blocks press like a dream. 24 little pieces in each little block that finishes at approximately 6″.
I’ve made blocks using the .50″, .75″, 1″ and 1.5″ 90-degree hexagons. For me right now the .75″ size is just right — not too big, not too small. And the best part? One load of stitches on the needle and each little seam is done. And the block is finished before I know it! And they’re very, very addictive. And it’s very hard to not keep playing with them. And even harder to not just keep arranging the shapes on my portable design book to see which effect I’ll get with the fussy-cut hexagons – that all by itself is really hard to resist! And I’m going to do a little more fussy cutting/printing of the deep beige fabric as I think I’ll get some super effects with it as well.
For now though, I’m back to making another Morse Star or two so that I can get that top finished relatively quickly. But it’s very nice to know I have the stack of those little 90-degree hexagons just waiting for me.
I’ve been debating what will be my baseball playoffs quilt project this year. I’d like to make a decision before the end of next week and then get the shapes printed, cut out and ready, just waiting in a project box, so that when the playoffs begin I’m ready. I think this year’s goal is to get whatever I decide to make done before the World Series is over.
“Do you smell something fishy?” That’s Mr. Q.O.’s caption for this shot of Jake.
Mr. Q.O. says Baxter looks grumpy in this shot. I think he looks contemplative.
While I am committed to finishing the butterfly kaleidoscope stars quilt top, I was really feeling the need to work on something else for an evening. Sticking with just one project is unusual for me. Doing it basically twice in a row? … Continue reading
You knew I couldn’t stop with the .50″ size, right? Of course you did! Yesterday I hunted and hunted for something that was going to work for fussy cutting/printing for the centre hexagons in the block but found nothing that appealed. … Continue reading
It was inevitable that I’d get distracted from the butterfly kaleidoscope stars. I knew it was coming. And yesterday it did. A miniature version of Lucy Boston’s Patchwork of the Crosses – the .50″ Inklingo 90-degree hexagon collection. As soon … Continue reading
These little spool blocks haven’t been seen for ages either. But when I unearthed the tiny Drunkard’s Path blocks, I also unearthed the box that contained all the completed little spool blocks. I made them using half 90-degree 1″ hexagons … Continue reading
Row 3 of the Patchwork of the Crosses top is done. As is row 4. Row 5 is almost done. Joining the rows together is probably going to take a bit longer than I originally anticipated, but I’m still hopeful … Continue reading
It was a perfect day yesterday to take photos out on the roof garden. There was no wind so I didn’t have to worry about row 2 getting blown away. I’m almost finished the last corner of the final row. … Continue reading
Row 2 of the POTC top is together but it was too windy to attempt to photograph it outside yesterday. I’m hoping today we will be able to get a photo of it. After I finished getting the second row … Continue reading
Sewing the blocks together into rows is going faster than I expected. Row 1 is now done and ready to have row 2 attached. Rows 2, 3 and 4 will probably be attached by week’s end. Row 5 will take … Continue reading