I’m trying very hard to not pick favourites, but it’s difficult. So far this is my favourite – love the dainty little floral with the turquoise batik. I am so glad that I stumbled upon those little floral prints when … Continue reading
The story begins with these floral fabrics that I found when I was searching for fabrics for my version of Valse Brillante. Which I am still, by the way, in the process of pulling. More about that later in the … Continue reading
A friend asked me how I’d make one of the Carpenter’s Wheel blocks so I decided to do a mini tutorial on it. Smudge is watching intently.
The first thing I did was figure out what I needed to print, which was 8 diamonds for the centre star, 8 squares in the background fabric to surround the centre star, a total of 24 other diamonds for the frame around the star/square centre, 8 QSTs and 8 more squares in the background fabric, and 4 squares in another colour for the corners. Once that was done, it took only minutes to print and then cut out my pieces.
The first step was to make the centre star.
The next step is to add the 8 squares around the centre star. As I hand piece, I look for these continuous stitching possibilities. Two lengths of thread later and all the squares were added.
Pressing after each round isn’t normally something I do, but this time I did.
The next step is to make the frame of diamonds that will surround the centre star/squares. As I was using two colours, I first stitched the purple diamond pairs and then added the orange diamonds in between and continued joining them until I had the frame ready.
Another opportunity for lots of continuous stitching and a few threads later, the frame is added. In fact, it went so fast that I had started to add the final squares and QSTs around the block before I remembered to take this picture.
The final step is to add the background squares and QSTs around the perimeter. Again, lots of continuous stitching. When adding the squares and QSTs, I left the corner squares until the end so that I could take advantage of the continuous stitching opportunities and then went back and added the 4 final squares.
It presses beautifully and lies flat as can be. Because of the perfect stitching lines and matching points printed with Inklingo, making this block is not difficult at all. I used the 6 inch LeMoyne Star collection to make my block, which finishes at 12″.
The fabrics I used for this block really had me out of my normal comfort zone as far as colour goes. It was interesting stitching and now that it’s done, it’s on its way to a friend.
Lester found this whole thing so relaxing that he fell asleep! He’s continuing to improve and has been playing with toys, is eating on his own and seems more like himself every day.