I think working on the Pickled Ladies border has me thinking of nothing but borders. There are a couple of quilts that I’ve decided need something added in the way of a border. First is last year’s Inklingo mystery – … Continue reading
Category Archives: Improved 9-Patch
X’s and O’s
While we were out taking pictures of Twinkling Stars on the roof garden, we also took a few of the top I’ve named X’s and O’s. The name has everything to do with how I plan to quilt this one, with circles and X’s.
It was made using shapes from the Inklingo Orange Peel Deluxe collection and was pieced by hand with the exception of the black inner border. The centre of the top took just over 3 weeks to put together from the time I got the idea through to its completion. Adding the borders took a while as I ended up auditioning a couple of different versions before settling on the final.
When it’s time to quilt this, I’m going to get a silk batt. The binding will be the same black ’30s print as the inner border.
Baxter getting his nightly yogourt treat.
X’s and O’s
My Improved 9-Patch quilt top which I’ve named X’s and O’s, and which was hand pieced in a few weeks. I started piecing it on August 9 and took the last stitch completing the main body of the top on September 1, 2010. The picture was taken on September 2, when the lawn on the roof garden was still green and there was no snow. Without borders it measures approximately 41 x 48″. One of the two borders I have planned for X’s and O’s will be pieced.
I used the Inklingo Orange Peel Deluxe collection to print all the shapes for this. Perfect stitching lines and matching points printed on the back of my fabrics made putting this together a breeze. Even though I knew it would go together easily as I had just finished the Chintz Circles quilt made with shapes from the same Inklingo collection, I was amazed at how quickly I finished stitching it. Once I got the idea for this quilt, I worked out a plan for my quilt using the design sheets and Monkey’s Cheat Sheet which are part of the Inklingo collection and filled out a cheat sheet, chose the fabrics and printed my shapes. All done in one evening. By the time two days had passed, I had all the 9-patches pieced and then it was just a matter of lots and lots of continuous stitching as I joined the melons to the 9-patches.
The biggest challenge for me with this quilt was keeping things in order. Once I had the 9-patch blocks pieced, I laid them out with the melons and rearranged until I was satisfied with the placement. Not having a design wall, I laid it out on the bed and we took photos. Although I kept the pieces for each row of the quilt in separate zip-lock bags, I printed one of the photos and that was my virtual design wall to which I referred constantly to ensure I hadn’t mixed anything up.
My plan is to print the shapes I need for the pieced border sometime within the next couple of weeks and hopefully have the pieced border ready within a week or so after that. I’ve already decided on the quilting design for the quilt, so I’m hoping to have this one done within a relatively short period of time.
We were lucky and didn’t get anywhere near the kind of storm they were predicting. It snowed for hours, no question, but we didn’t get the amount they had forecast. The migraine finally lifted Wednesday evening so now I’m just left with the bruised head feeling that always comes after and will get caught up on blogs and responding to comments today.
The cats found spots to snooze on Wednesday. Lester on the pink chair.
Smudge got his turn on the pink chair a bit later in the evening.