A New Flower for the Garden – Perhaps a Clematis? Correction – it’s Impatiens!

Flower Segmentswtmk

The latest ribbon flower was started on Tuesday and this time I’ve tried to keep track of how long it took to sew one. I got these segments pieced in about six hours. In the process, I think I’ve discovered what may be, for me, the quickest method of sewing the ribbon flowers. It’s going to be great to have this sewing sequence sorted out when I start on the next of the flower quilts.

Flowerwtmk

It took about another three or four hours of sewing time for the flower to bloom.

Back of Flowerwtmk

The back. Pressed but I’ve not yet graded any seams yet.

Perhaps it might be considered another tea rose but, as I’d rather not have two flowers of the same sort in this first ribbon flower quilt top, I think that it’s a clematis, as was suggested by a very good friend who saw some pictures of it in progress. Corrected to add:  It’s not clematis. It’s impatiens.  

No background is attached yet but, once again, I think I’ve discovered a way to audition backgrounds that makes more sense than what I’ve been doing up until now. Before now, I would leave the fabrics in groups and just keep them where I could look at them on and off for a while until I was relatively sure of the fabric choices. From now on I’m just going to take a picture of the flower on the fabric I am most drawn to as the background and then leave that picture open on my computer for a few hours. The fabric in the background of the flower front and back photos is the one I think I’m going to use for the background for this one. I’ll get the background pieces printed on that background this afternoon and finish the flower. Then it’s on to the petunia.

Fall on the Roof Gardenwtmk

The roof garden flowerbeds had no flowers planted this year so have had no colour until the hostas bloomed with their towering white spikes of flowers, which happened just in time for the vine leaves to start turning red with the approach of fall.  Although one would never know fall was approaching with the wonderful bonus of very summer-like weather we’re having.

Mystery Flowerwtmk

“Mystery Flower”

Jakewtmk

Jake was more interested in something going on in the apartment than out on the roof garden. This may be the photo that best shows the colour of Jake’s eyes that I’ve managed to take so far. They’re a very pale blue/green that I think is gorgeous and very, very different. I’ve had cats all my life and have never seen one with eyes anywhere close to this colour.

Baxterwtmk

Baxter was, as is usual right now, very intently watching outside. We think he’s watching the robins. We haven’t seen them since early spring but now they’re back and there are lots of them showing up out on the roof garden.

9 thoughts on “A New Flower for the Garden – Perhaps a Clematis? Correction – it’s Impatiens!

  1. Cathi,
    I love watching the progress with the flowers……they are beautiful!!!
    I weeded in my flower beds yesterday and this one reminds me more of a Dahlia than my clematis but my clematis is white and almost done for the season. But the Dahlias are blooming like crazy! Keep on stitching!
    Barb

    Like

  2. That is gorgeous Cathi. I love the fabrics, the centre is so delicate and lovely and then it’s surrounded by those two perfect together reds. The bee forgot to put its teeth in!

    Like

  3. That is gorgeous Cathi. I love the fabrics, the centre is so delicate and lovely and then it’s surrounded by those two perfect together reds. The bee forgot to put its teeth in!

    Like

I love reading your comments!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s