The partially done Storm at Sea block is now finished.
And now I know why I left this project in the midst of that block! Why? Because that dark batik is – well, a bit difficult. Along with being quite dark, it’s also one of the few batiks I’ve run into that is hard to needle. So it’s clearly not as much fun to sew the blocks with that dark batik as all the rest.
There are 15 of the Stormy Seas blocks left to sew. I went through the envelopes and found that only these 3 of the remaining 15 have the dark batik.
So now I’m trying to decide – do I just drop everything and finish those 3 blocks and get them done so that I know they’re finished? I’m leaning towards doing that because I know that once they’re out of the way, when I do go back to this it will be much more fun to have all the blocks that are a struggle done.
I took this photo of one of the pieces of the dark batik, and enhanced it as much as I could to try to show the lines and matching points. I can see them relatively well on most of the batik but finding the matching points on some of the darker spots can be a bit more difficult, which makes the block more of a challenge to sew and ensure that all the points are as sharp as they should be.
Just writing that last paragraph has got me about 75% decided to just get these 3 blocks done so that I will be happy to work on the remaining ones when I do go back to this in earnest. If I did that, maybe I could get all the units for each block sewn and pressed this weekend and then get the three blocks put together early next week and then go back to the various Silent Garden and Harpsichord and 9-patch blocks.
No, Baxter isn’t falling asleep in the water bowl. This is how he drinks. We’ve done video of him drinking, but Wednesday night I managed to get this photo. His paws are a bit blurry because they’re always in constant movement when he’s drinking. Seven years of watching this hasn’t made his drinking habit any less fascinating.