Finally, after loads and loads of un-sewing, the lilac is done!
The back, after pressing but before grading of the seams.
Before last night the number of times I changed my mind about a fabric in this flower was beginning to seem endless. The only fabric in this block which was in the first group of fabrics I had pulled and printed for the flower is the one used for the 12 centre pieces. Every single one of the other fabrics has been changed – and some more than once or twice. I’d even gone so far as to attach the background fabric pieces to what I thought was the completed lilac, but then wasn’t at all happy with how one of the fabrics looked after that was done and I took photos. So back to some more un-sewing I went. I was thrilled when I found that background fabric worked so well for the lilac!
Next is a bit of a hard decision to make – which two blocks will get left out of the Garden Gone Wild top? I think I may have an idea but I’m keeping my options open until I have the setting fabric figured out which is the next step. I have to begin looking to see if I do indeed have anything that is going to work for the setting blocks and/or as a sashing. I’m wondering if I may have boxed myself into a bit of a corner using so many different prints/colours for the backgrounds of all the flowers, but it will be a fun corner to find my way out of if that’s the case.
And the spare parts department of ribbon flower pieces? Well, it has definitely grown. It also includes some background fabric pieces as I did change my mind a fair bit through the process of making the 22 ribbon flower blocks.
All that’s left to do is write a couple of posts – one about the sewing sequence I used to make the flowers, grading of seams and one about plans I have for the orphan blocks.
I’ve already put away all the batiks that were used in the making of the Garden Gone Wild blocks, although I have kept a couple out that weren’t used and that I may have enough of to use for the setting blocks and/or sashing – if they work with all the backgrounds, that is.
It feels like yesterday I started making the flowers for the Garden Gone Wild quilt, but I know it was just before Canada Day when the Inklingo Ribbon Flower collection was released. Other than one very short diversion to play with half clamshells for an evening, I have been absolutely focused on these blocks all that time. In a little over four months I have made 23 of these wonderful blocks – and every stitch has been a joy to sew for me as every single seam involves curved piecing. I could happily make many more of these, but there are other ideas calling to me as well.
“Just ’cause it’s purple!”
Jake is still spending lots of time in the kitty tree. Even though it seems like we’re getting an unwelcome blast of quite cold weather right now, the leaves are still on the tree outside our living room window and it has, up until last night, been really quite wonderfully mild all fall so far.
Baxter was helping me change the bed again. I’m thankful Jake doesn’t get in on the act as it would be impossible to ever get anything accomplished.