This is a little grandmother’s flower garden quilt that I began well over 10 years ago. English paper piecing was not for me as I found the whole process painstakingly slow. So this little quilt top got put away unfinished. There’s a bit of everything in this top – some batiks, some ’30s prints, some brights, some hand-dyed fabrics — whatever worked for the flower I was working on, it seems. The freezer paper I used for the paper pieces is still in all the hexagons at the edges.
Now I’m going to finish it by adding in the pieces to get a straight edge. The hexagons I used to make the GFG were .75″ ones and, as there is a collection of Inklingo .75″ hexagons, I’m using those. To make sure it would work I did a trial. Worked like a charm! It’s so fast and easy to stitch hexagons with a running stitch as opposed to all that whip-stitching that it will take very little time to finish this. The best part is no more whip-stitching and worrying about stitches showing.
The next stumbling block was the muslin I had used for the GFG. Whatever I had left of it is long gone and the muslins I have are just slightly different in colour, enough that they stand out to me. So I decided to use this fabric and printed some of the .75″ hexagons and the two half hexagons. I’ll use the same fabric for the binding. Watch this space! Progress will be shown as I get this finished off. The finished quilt will be a perfect size for a baby quilt.
Baxter was back in the classroom, giving instructions on reviewing quilters’ UFOs.
When we were getting ready to photograph the GFG he immediately came over to have a look.