I know that’s an
odd blog post title – no, wait a minute! If you’ve read my blog for any length of time, you know I love working with pink. I have a fair bit to show and there’s lots of pink involved.
First up is my finished Inklingo COTSIM mystery quilt top made with the Key West Beauty shape collection. I’m really quite thrilled with how it turned out. Right now it’s 30″ x 30″ and I’m still playing with the idea of adding a border and, if I do, what kind of border. I found a multi-colour batik that has just about every colour I used in the top, but am not sure about it. I’m going to have to put up the temporary design wall and put that batik up against the top and then have a good look and take some pictures. Sometimes it just takes seeing a photograph on the screen to make the decision easier for me.
The mystery quilt top was finished ages ago but has been sitting as I heard, just as I was finishing it, about a baby coming. The mother-to-be told us it’s going to be a girl. So I’ve been working away on these Yin Yang blocks for a baby quilt. That top is almost finished now. It just needs its border added, and for that one I do know what I’m using for the border, and then it will be time for a picture of it. I used mirror image printing of the shapes for half of the 56 blocks to get the effect I wanted and am thrilled with how it has turned out. And oh, how I enjoyed all that lovely curved piecing.
Then there’s this. The newest Inklingo collections – Cleopatra’s Fan – came out this week and I immediately stopped everything to play. This block is 4.5″. I’m making four of them using these pinks. When I saw the block, my immediate thought was that four together just might look like a peony opening if I did them all in pinks. Of course, there’s no shortage of pink in my stash. And it meant more curved piecing, although the curves in this are much softer curves than those in the Yin Yang blocks.
I have been playing with the block in EQ and have come up with some different settings. I plan to make a larger quilt in this pattern, possibly with the 6″ or 9″ block or a combination of sizes, and will use a more dramatic set of fabrics – I think. But knowing me, pink may win out again.
The back of the block after pressing. Even with 19 pieces in a small block, it presses beautifully.
There’s also a fabulous Inklingo Cleopatra’s Fan Design Book that is free to download for a limited time. It is invaluable with a sewing sequence and pressing plan laid out in it. I think it’s an absolute must for anyone wanting to sew Cleopatra’s Fan, whether by hand or by machine. There’s a great gallery of quilts in it as well, just to jumpstart the creative process using this fabulous block.
The pink in the mystery quilt and one of the pink batiks in the Cleopatra’s Fan block have been challenging, to put it lightly, to sew. It’s really interesting how much difference there is from batik to batik. Oh, how I wish that batiks had something on the edge that gave one a clue as to which manufacturer they were from. I absolutely loved the pink I used in the mystery quilt, but it was very, very difficult to sew. Normally I rarely use a thimble when sewing, but with that one I had to. And the second darkest pink in the Cleopatra’s Fan block is the same.
In April, Baxter turned 5. It is so hard to believe it has been five years already and that this little creature …
… has turned into this gorgeous boy. He got a wonderful new toy for his birthday which he and Jake have been
enjoying – trying to make sure the other doesn’t get.
I wish we knew when Jake’s birthday is, but we don’t. So he gets to celebrate with Baxter and they get extra treats and more toys. Here he has possession of the latest new toy, which we have dubbed the pepper as it looks like a red pepper.
I think I’m back to blogging. I’m going to try for once a week and see how well I do with that goal.