Yes, I know — a picture that’s almost identical to the one I showed yesterday. A healthy baby boy who has been named Cameron was born late yesterday afternoon, so this little quilt is now named Cameron’s Windmills, the label was completed and appliqued on and it’s ready to go.
I’m not sure how much I’ll be posting this week. As well, visiting blogs and replying to comments will probably not be something I’ll be doing much of over the next few days as Lester has had another small stroke. He’s had two strokes before now, both of which he recovered from quite remarkably well. This time? This time I’m not so sure what the outcome will be. When we left here to go to the vet’s on Monday, I wasn’t feeling very optimistic. However, the vets gave him a painkiller as well as an appetite stimulant. By the time I sat down to write this late Monday night, there was a very small improvement so we’re hoping that he can bounce back this time as well. For now, we’re syringe feeding him and Smudge.
This picture of Lester was taken last week. He was much more restrained than Smudge — didn’t feel he had to get on the board when we were trying to take a picture of the Rainbow Flower.
Smudge was checking on Lester throughout the evening on Monday. Then he stretched out for a snooze.
Friday evening the last stitch was taken to tack down the binding and the baby windmills quilt was finished. Nothing like a last-minute finish — the baby is going to be delivered sometime today. I had decided how I was going to quilt it and, with a little advance planning, was able to get the machine quilting done within a couple of hours and had only 4 thread ends to work in. All straight line quilting, of course, as that’s my skill level when quilting by machine.
When I found this flannel a couple of years ago, I bought enough yardage of it for the backing for 3 baby quilts.
The label is ready to be written and stitched on to the back. As soon as we know the baby’s name, I’ll write out and attach the label, give the quilt a quick wash and dry and we’ll be off to deliver it to the hospital. I’ve found that a 2″ hexagon is perfect for a label as it gives me lots of room to write. I’ve got the turn-under allowance basted down as that will make the appliqueing on to the back go very quickly. Right now it’s ironed to a piece of freezer paper to stabilize it when I’m writing on it and the fabric pen is ready and waiting. I can’t wait to hear if it’s a boy or girl!
The quilt was made with “other” half 1″ hexagons which I printed using Inklingo. This was a UFO that had been sitting for a couple of years. I love tessellating designs and had started this quite a while ago but then it sat. However, when I learned my cousin’s son and his wife were going to have another baby I knew what this particular UFO was meant to be. Once I made that decision, it only took a couple of weeks to finish piecing it. With a tessellating design like this, there are tons of opportunities for continuous stitching which makes the piecing go very quickly.
Lester looking rather majestic — one of his house lion looks.
Smudge has definitely turned a corner, we think. He’s more playful and is eating more every day. Sunday night he was playing with the favourite toy, Cappy, and then decided to rest while lying on top of Cappy. I think he wanted to make sure it didn’t get away from him.