The first of the orange flowers is definitely proving to be a very late bloomer.
It’s still not done.
Yes, two of the batiks have proven to be incredibly hard to sew – sort of like trying to drive a toothpick through fabric, even with a fresh #12 sharp, but I’ve run into batiks like that before. Actually, three of the four batiks in each petal are in that category but as the fourth one only touches the one nice-to-needle batik, it’s not an issue. For those who may be curious, the outer edge batik and the two that are the first and second from the centre are the batiks that are the culprits. They gave me the look I wanted and I’m thankful for that, but….
Here’s where it’s at right now. With luck and who knows how many more fresh #12 sharps, which are dulling at an alarming rate while I sew this flower, I’ll have the centre of the flower finished by Wednesday. One thing this has done is made me decide to be much, much more picky about the batiks I use in these blocks if they’re being sewn to another batik. If they feel anything like the problem ones in this first orange flower, then they’re being set aside.
Once I get the centre finished, it may end up being set aside at that point without its outer frame. Wondering why? I thought I was so organized. Now I wish I hadn’t been as it has not worked in my favour this time. I had picked out the perfect fabric and printed the background pieces, had them cut out and ready to go and set aside and, as of right now, they’re missing! I thought I had them with all the pieces for the flower but they’re nowhere to be found. I’m sure Baxter hasn’t made off with them as they’re rather large for him – he prefers small pieces like 1″ or 2″ diamonds or hexagons.
At this point, after going through everything I can think of, I’m clinging to the faint hope that they’ve somehow got mixed in with the fabrics I’ve got set aside for more orange flowers and I just need to very slowly and methodically go through those. But until I either find them or finally give in and accept that I may have thrown them out in error and then select something else to use, I don’t want to finish this one without them! And of course – of course! – I didn’t have a very large piece of that fabric, so I can’t print more and replace those background pieces.
“Don’t want to rush you, but…”
Jake was very alertly watching something on the roof garden.
Baxter poses for photos. I’m now totally convinced as he had been just stretched right out when I came into the room and, as soon as he saw I was holding the phone up to take a photo, he immediately sat up and made sure I had a photo I could use.